Sunday, March 27, 2016

Kicked Out at Walgreens

A BIT UNSURE AND APPREHENSIVE 
I wasn't sure if I wanted to start the day out barefoot or not.  There was a big JBQ meet at our church and before that was our men's breakfast.  So there would be a lot of people around and half I wouldn't know.  As usual, my shoes were in the van, so I walked out to the van barefoot, still not sure what I would do.  When we arrived at the church I decided to leave my shoes behind and headed inside.

INSIDE WITH A LARGE GROUP BAREFOOT
Breakfast was just being served and some of the kids who had traveled long distances for the final meet of the year had joined the men's breakfast.  So I slipped in unnoticed.  Breakfast went by without any comments.  After breakfast one person commented on my choice of attire, but otherwise no one mentioned my bare feet.

WALMART CLOSE CALL
I had the three year old with us so eventually he got restless so I left the match and headed over to Walmart to purchase Easter items and a few essentials.  It was crowded and I made it to the register without any comments.  The cashier was surprised they let me in barefoot and the lady behind me also commented, both though I should not be walking around barefoot.  I told them I didn't see any sign on the door and that no law forbade me from walking around barefoot.  Glass was brought up during the discussion and they both disapproved, but I was able to finish my purchase.

DIFFERENT TEXTURES
So I made it out of Walmart and we headed to the playground at our church daycare that had a pea gravel surface.  I guess it is better then tracking in sand into the building.  The gravel felt fine on my feet, but after a while I could tell my feet needed a break so we took a short walk around the building on the asphalt.  Then eventually back inside, where the cool smooth floor felt really soothing on my feet.  The only other comment at the church was when we were leaving, one of the visiting teens mentioned my feet would get cold outside, but I told them the pavement felt nice and warm today.

WALGREEN KICKS ME OUT
We arrived home much later then I had anticipated so I would have to postpone my Saturday run till Sunday.  I then headed over to Walgreens I picked up all the items I needed and was waiting to get some photos when I was told I couldn't be inside the store with bare feet.  I told them there was no sign on the door. I asked why and was told it was a health issue.  I told them the state had no law, but they insisted that the store had a policy against bare feet in the store due to health reasons.  I finally left my stuff on the counter and left.  I did return with shoes on to finish my purchase.  I plan to write a letter to the their headquarters to see if I can get the issue resolved in my favor.

CONCLUSION
I guess if you plan on living life barefooted you had better be ready for people to disapprove and to be kicked out of stores.  That night I ordered some xeroshoes - the sandals so that hopefully I can carry them around with me and put them on as needed.  Hopefully the will fit in my pocket when I go inside of stores.

FYI - RESULTS OF JBQ
The foster child's team took first in their division and my daughter took 3rd place quizer in her division, so both kids came away happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment