Sunday, March 13, 2016

Improving Cadence with Form

Last week I started concentrating on my form and lifting my legs up instead of pushing off and I noticed a slight improvement in my cadence; which previously had stubbornly refused to improve no matter what I did.  I took a run on Saturday and once again my cadence was improved as I focused on lifting the leg up.  Not a lot, just the a few steps, but my maximum cadence was 169, definitely a good sign.  This run also had a lower average heart rate, since I'm purposely trying to go slower to focus on the form.  I'm also comparing this run to another run on the same route.  My cadence on this run was higher the at the beginning and then drops back down at the end.  Makes me wonder if I started to lose form or focus, maybe both.  Something to think about on my next run.

Next I compared my average pace to two previous runs with about the same average pace.  One run has my cadence way lower and the other run my cadence is all over the place, but shows an average of a few steps less.  My new cadence is much more consistent, even when it dropped towards the end it stayed much more constant.  You can check out my runs on mapmyrun or garmin connect.  Find me under hikerdana.

No comments:

Post a Comment