Saturday, March 12, 2016

First Full Day Barefoot & Two Disapprovals

FIRST BAREFOOT DAY
After my first full barefoot day
Today I planned to be barefoot all day.  I dressed in my nice shorts and headed out. The weather was in the 50's, but it felt cooler with the breeze and on the shady patches of the sidewalk. Our first store was our local hardware store where everyone knows us well.  Nothing was said about my feet, but they commented that it was now spring and time for my beard to come off. I told them it was on the agenda for the day.

FIRST ENCOUNTER
The next stop was the grocery store.  I've been in there several times now and nothing has been said.  Today a customer came up and warned me that I better not let them (meaning the store employees) see that I was not wearing shoes.  I told him it was legal.  He doubted me so I assured him that no law existed stopping me from shopping in bare feet.  He was a bit surprised but eventually said he thought it was gross that I would be spreading my athlete foot fungus all over the store.  I was a little taken back by that remark and tried to assure him that athletes foot normally doesn't survive on bare feet, but he turned off down another isle anxious to get away from me.  Perhaps I should have responded that it is a good thing he is wearing shoes.

BARNES & NOBLE
Our next store was Barnes & Noble.  We stopped at the help desk to get my Nook checked out and then headed to the sweets counter where my daughter got a soda and a free cookie.  Then back to the help desk to find a book she wanted, but it was out of my price range this week.  She settle on something more affordable.  We checked out without any mention of my bare feet.

CONCLUSION 
It was a very enjoyable day.  I am getting more relaxed going about barefoot, even with the one encounter I had today.  I actually felt sorry for him.  It was also amazing how many different textures and temperatures your feet cross in a day and the shod never experience it.  Probably the best part was my daughter said something about how she wished she could go barefoot and I told her she could.  She was surprised, but glad I'll let her go barefoot.  She still hasn't taken her shoes off yet, but hopefully she will in the future.

POST SCRIPT 
After I wrote this post I headed out once more to my favorite neighborhood dollar store.  Was shopping when a store employee approached me and mentioned I was not wearing shoes and then told me that I had to have shoes.  He did let me finish shopping, but I cut it to just the one item I needed and then I left.  It put a little damper on my day, but it still was still a good day.

2 comments:

  1. Athlete foot! Come on, that's the most stupid excuse he could provide. As if shoe soles don't carry hundreds of bacteria! It woudl have been wiser from his side to settle on a "it's for you own safety" approach. "We don't want our customers to get hurt" or something. SMH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister tells me she knows someone who actually is afraid of feet and if I approached her barefoot, she would really have a problem. Maybe this guy was the same way, though he just seemed to be a grumpy man. Thanks for leaving a comment.

      Delete