Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Two More Stores

After work I walked a quarter of a mile barefoot to my vehicle.  Without the sun shinning brightly down on the pavement there was no warm spots along the way.  Upon arriving home I realized I needed a receipt book.  As I headed back out the door I hesitated, and then picked up my shoes thinking: people will think it is too cold to be walking barefoot, or what will people think.  Then I changed my mind and said, Yes it may be a bit cool for going barefoot, but I still want to do it and it is therefore my choice and then left without my shoes. I shouldn't live my life by what others will think, even if they are right and I am a bit crazy.  It is a balance between the comfort of barefoot or the discomfort of the cold.  And I just love barefoot walking and can tolerate a bit of cold to do something I enjoy.  Besides I've been out in shorts in weather colder then this and people thought I was a bit crazy, so what is the difference.  Well okay, it isn't too unusual to see people in shorts in the winter, but you don't really see people shoeless walking around, even in the summer.

ON RUNNING
I was also doing some thinking about my run on Thursday in the cold.  Walking in the cold might be a good way to help condition my feet a little bit more for my runs when it is cold.  I am also thinking I should bring some warmer socks on Thursday so once I'm done my run I can put them on if needed and then walk back to my work with my shoes on.  The brain never stops.  I really want to get a streak going of barefoot runs, but don't want to be foolish either, hard balance when your set and excited about something.

STORES
Where were going, oh yes, the stores.  Arriving at the dollar store I looked around briefly and couldn't find what I wanted.  I then asked the checkout clerk and was told they didn't have any so I headed over to a nearby pharmacy.  After looking around and not seeing any I approached a manager that happened to be nearby on the floor working.  He showed me right where the item was and never acknowledged me being barefoot.  I had no problems at either store once again.  I feel like I'm getting bolder with each store I visit.   And knowing I can go into my most often visited stores without an issue feels great.

IN MY HEAD
I'm sure I'll be asked to leave a store someday, but by then it will almost be a relief.  Maybe I should head over to the local Mall, I understand Malls quick to ask barefoot people to leave.  I'm not looking for a confrontation, but I am expecting it to happen, so if I get it done with I might be able to relax a bit more.     I don't know any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. I also started barefooting recently - back in September last year or so, used shoes during the worst of winter, and now have been back barefooting whenever the temperatures have been just a bit below freezing and up. Like you, I also wonder when the first time will be when I'm "confronted" in a store or library or whatever about having to have shoes on.

    Keep it up though! It truly is healthier and more comfortable to be barefoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feet still haven't adapted to the cold all that well yet. Though they seem really warm when I'm inside. So I usually only go barefoot right now when it is above freezing and dry. Keep up the barefooting and hopefully you'll never have a negative encounter.

      Delete
  2. You could carry a pair of flip-flops with you. When confronted, you put them on, and when no one is looking you remove them :P You can also leave them around on the floor and if someone from the store confronts you, then you can go "Oh sorry, I was distracted".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far my shoes are usually not that far away. If I drive to a store I have some in my vehicle. On a workday I have them in my backpack since I slip the shoes back on my feet when I get a block or so away from work. Eventually I'll work out a system, but do plan on getting a small light weight pair of sandals that can easily be carried around and used when needed.

      Delete