Sunday, July 17, 2016

Flint Covered Roads


My assignment for the week will be maintaining the water quality of the 4 above ground swimming pools. This definitely made it easier for me to attempt being barefoot all week, though after looking and walking on the roads I think I'll be wearing shoes on occasion.  The roads are hard packed dirt with flint rocks that have sharp edges.  Some of the roads have a grass area on the side, but in a few areas their is nothing on the side I can walk on.  One of these areas is from the pools to the dinning pavilion.  I know if I go easy I could do it, but my schedule is pretty tight so I'll probably wear my zero sandals to get there and back in a reasonable amount time.  

  
 
Walking up to the main building today, barefoot I had to cross this road.  Crossing a road is easy, you just pick your path and then walk across.  When I reached the other side I was told I needed to wear shoes.  He was concerned that I would get cut.  I looked at the man and tried to determine his place in the chain of command.  Most people have visible name tags that tell you who they are and what position they hold.  I didn't see any such identification on him and he just didn't seem to be a person I needed to listen to.
 
Three steps away from this conversation was the Safety Officer for the camp.  I had worked with him previously but still was not sure how he would respond to me walking around barefoot.  He overheard the conversation and ribbed me a bit about not listening to the gentleman's advice.  I told him I didn't see any identification that gave him the authority to stop me from walking barefoot.  Nothing further was said and I took that as his permission to hurt myself if I wanted to.   A very good sign, few people would be higher then him in this regards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment