Thursday, July 21, 2016

A Little Wear and Tear

Today is the last day of activities. We've done a good job of keeping the pools clean and open all week.  In the past I have worked directly with the camp manager, but they reorganized things this year and gave me a supervisor. It was a good thing.  We had more than our fair share of challenges this year and he was always available when needed.  It was like having an extra pair of hands.

I managed to take one long walk on the road today to visit some of the activities and campsites. It is in the high 90's and I still didn't think the dirt road would be so hot, It seems just as hot as black top.  Another added problem is when you step down, the very hot dust from the road rises up and spreads between your toes.  Then the relief you get from lifting your foot is not as complete as when you move along on a paved surface. 

I did get some comments on this walk.  A few thought it was unsafe, but a few were open to the concept and thought my feet must be special.  I was able to discuss the hazards of shoes and benefits of walking barefoot. 

As the week progressed I had noticed a layer or two of my sole had worn off.  I walked just as much on the streets of Manhattan just two weeks prior with no damage.  Now I could see and feel a layer of skin had been worn off and I felt it must have been from the rough gravel around the pools.  In most places the gravel was on a firm bed and other places it had piled up and acted more like sand, so my whole foot got a workout at times.  Every morning my foot was a little stiff, but after a dozen or so steps I would be fine.  If I had to work at the camp for a month, I'm not sure I could have lasted, but for the few days I was able to keep the shoes off.   

No comments:

Post a Comment