Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Barefoot run with my Coach

Today I had my second appointment with Derek, my new coach I found on Coachup.com.  The first time I ran on the treadmill while he took videos of my form to critique.  His gym doesn't allow street shoes and I'm still not sure how they would respond to a barefooter, so I wore my Xero sandals and brought some socks to wear in the gym.

The last time Derek gave me some tips on what to concentrate on while he worked on a more comprehensive plan.  Mind you the advice he me gave is specific to my body.  He told me to work on pushing my knees out and mentioned activating my glutes.  I worked on this just walking, due to my crazy schedule this past month.   I found that when I pushed my knees, I tended to stand up a bit straighter and activated my glutes.  When I explained to him the muscles I felt stretching during my walks he said I was on the right track.

Derek's plan for today was to start with a 2 mile run.  I had nothing to run in, since my Xero sandals still bother me walking around, so I had to run barefoot.  Strange how this gave me pause, perhaps since this was my first barefoot run with anyone.  Derek knew that I was training to run barefoot, so it didn't surprise him.  I'm not sure if it was because I was running with someone else or if the tips Derek gave me the last time but this was my best run of the year and my first two mile barefoot run.  Though it was probably a bit of both.

During the run my right leg definitely felt some strain, but nothing that I felt like I was pushing too hard.  Tonight after everything has settled down I don't feel the normal blister bubble on my right foot between the big toe and second.  I do have a little spot now on my left foot that feels slightly off, but I can't seem to pinpoint it.

No comments:

Post a Comment