Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Memorial Day Weekend

It was a great weekend.  While I didn't achieve being barefoot for the whole weekend, I did spend most of the weekend without shoes.  My previous post discussed my successful hike.  While not of epic proportions, it was still a first for me and I was definitely encouraged by the success.  

The remainder of Saturday was spend without shoes, except for a short trip to the grocery store where they have requested I wear shoes.  The hardware store was a much more positive experience.  When I told the owner what I needed he suggested I wait there since there might be glass on the floor in the back.  The part I needed was behind where they repair screens and windows, so his concern was genuine.  Putting people's perceptions that that the city streets are fill with broken glass, I told him I walk on the city streets all the time.  He asked if I also walked on fire as well and I responded that his parking lot was pretty close.  (The parking lot was recently paved so it a nice deep black and was hot.)  The owner told me he know of a customer that went everywhere barefoot and to the dismay of his wife, even a wedding.  So Leblanc's Hardware in Manchester, NH is certified barefoot friendly.  Yes I did follow the owner our back and we got the parts I needed.

Sunday, I arrived at church and dropped everyone off at the front door and then found my parking sport.  I was half way to the front door when I realized I had left my shoes in the vehicle.  I wear shoes at church on Sunday morning mostly out of respect for my mother, who does not wholly embrace my bare footedness.  The rest of the day was spent without shoes and even in church my shoes were off most of the time I was sitting or standing in the pew.

Monday, was almost another 100% barefooted day.  I visited Wal-Mart in the morning without a single comment by the employees.  Upon my return to Wal-Mart for my cell phone which I has somehow left behind I was told I needed to wear shoes.  It then dawned on me that Wal-Mart does probably not tell it's employees to kick shoppers our that are barefooted, but rather the employee takes it upon themselves to enforce what they believe is the law or what is socially acceptable.  This employee was concerned I would get hurt and I said I hike and do most things barefooted.  She was not impressed, but the gentlemen in front of me in line were.  I did have to pick up a few groceries for supper, so returned with shoes in had to shop at the nearby Price Rite.

Overall a great week. 



No comments:

Post a Comment