Saturday, February 27, 2016

Two More Stores

Had a morning men's breakfast to attend and it was still a little cold out so I wore some Vivobarefoot shoes.  After the breakfast I returned home and took of my shoes for the rest of the day.  Then I began working on my current project, restoring wainscoting in the bathroom.

After working in the bathroom for a short period of time I realized I needed some protective gloves.  I  was washing off the stripper residue on the wainscoting and the two left handed gloves just weren't cutting it.  So I headed over to the local dollar store, still barefooted, to purchase the needed gloves. I was wearing my shorts and I was very aware of my bare feet.  But it was just a short walk and the temperatures were in the 50s.  Inside it didn't take me too much wandering to find the gloves and was able to make my purchase without any problem.  I didn't even hear or notice any reaction.

Back to work the gloves quickly disintegrated.  So I decided to head over to the hardware store to buy some better gloves.  I asked my mother to watch my daughter and she told me to put some shoes on.  I asked her if she thought I would actually walked to the store without shoes and then left.  I guess she has already caught on to my new thing. I'll have to discuss at a later time my families reaction so far.

The hardware store is about 2 tenths of a mile away.  I visit this hardware store a lot so was very interested to hear their comments.  I went straight to the paint department and a kid I don't usually see assisted me in finding the necessary gloves and then I checked out.  Nothing was said, though I'm sure the kid who assisted me must have notice my bare feet, the cashier knows me by name and he couldn't really see my feet from behind his counter.

It was good not to be bothered with shoes and to take the short stroll to the store barefooted.  Still a bit cool and I wouldn't want to go much further, but summer is coming and it will be very warm soon.

Here are some pictures of my current project. This bathroom has a claw foot tub, so for now we plan to leave the tiles on the back wall, until we replace the floor and need to take out the tub. Otherwise it will be a pain to get all the tile off and wall cleaned.

The lower walls were covered in plastic tile, as you can see in the picture above, which popped off the wall relatively easily with a putty knife.  Then we were left with the glue (not shown), which a hot gun helped soften up so we could scrape it off.  This left some residual glue and the old varnish.  So we used stripper to get the wall down to the bare wood.  

 We then cleaned the wall with some thinner to remove any remaining varnish and stripper.  This was after we finished cleaning up the wall.  We will add some molding on the bottom, so we were not too concerned about the very bottom.
Loads of pipes running on the outside of the wall, makes it a real pain to clean.  But it is coming.  Hope to start painting next Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment