Thursday, February 25, 2016

Second Run

Today is another surprisingly nice day.  I emailed a co-worker who is the only person besides my family that knows about my new barefoot habit and invited him to join me for a run.  He declined since he will be out of the office, but will take a rain check.

I work for a law firm as an assistant.  So my dilemma is how not to expose my feet to my fellow co-workers so early in the process.  I decided I would bring my light weight backpack on my run and once I was clear of the building I could put my shoes in the pack and then take my run.  I took my socks off when I changed to into my sneakers, which make the transaction pretty smooth and quick.

I arrived at my spot and easily removed my shoes (I did wait and time the removal to the passing of my fellow pedestrians).  And started my run across the Bridge Street bridge.  The bride felt a bit warmer then the other sections.  The run went smoothly and I was able to run the entire mile without a break and no problems.  I did pass by several other pedestrians, but did not observe or hear any reactions.

After my mile,  I started walking back via a different route, still barefoot.  I did pretty well until I came a stretch of sidewalk that was covered in sand that was used to sand the road during the winter snow storms.  This was not like your beach sand, but a coarse sand, that while it didn't really hurt me, was uncomfortable to walk on.  It also slowed down my pace. 

Keeping in mind that shoes are tools and I needed to get back to work sooner then later, I put my shoes back on.  Then I was able to easily pick up my pace and walk without any discomfort the remaining distance back to work. 

I'll have to develop a plan for how to safely increase my mileage.  Not only will this hopefully reduce the chance of another overuse injury, but will give my feet time to adapt as well.  In this one thing I feel very fortunate is that I am starting over again and my feet can adapt along with the rest of my body.  So far I am really excited that things have gone so easily for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment