Friday, October 14, 2016

Should we only vote for a moral president?

I can't take it any longer and I must speak out.  I don't want my blog over run by politics, but I must speak out on several issues.  So here goes the first of several post on the current state of our election process and the grumbling I hear all to often.  I'll try and keep it neutral. 

I will never select my president because they love to hike, no more than I would hire my plumber, carpenter or investment broker on the fact that they have hiked the Appalachian Trail from beginning to end. Now when I am choosing among equally qualified individuals, I will than and only than use other criteria to help me narrow down the choice. If they are a fellow hiker they get bonus points. But I will not chose someone just because they share my love for hiking.
There once was a murderer and adulterer and thief whom God was very pleased with and was willing enough to endorse him and call him a man after his own heart. HIs name was King David. You may try and argue the facts, but it will remain that King David was a horrible sinner, worthy of the death sentence by the rules of his own land. Jesus also called Matthew a tax collector and hot head and liar named Peter. And Peter was going to be the head pastor of his new Church. Yikes!
I'm not saying that we should not ignore the sins of those on our list of candidates, but rather focus more on the issues at hand. If two people running for office are almost equal on the issue, that are important to you, then you can take out the morality issues to help you make a final selection. On the other hand if one candidate was perfect and had no moral faults yet wanted to pass laws that would ban anyone over the age of 45 from hiking they probably would not get my vote, but I might let them do my plumbing if they were licensed.

No comments:

Post a Comment