Friday, February 26, 2016

First Experience in a Store

Went to Derry last night for a practice my daughter needed to attend.  During these practice sessions, I have been waiting in the common area, usually barefooted with shoes nearby.  I have noticed people glance down and see my feet, but I'm sure they also notice my shoes, so no one has said anything.  As I sat reading my book, I decided I wanted something to drink from the small store nearby.  I decided I would take the short hike to the store barefooted and see what if any reaction I got.

Once again I could feel how cool the pavement was and upon stepping into the store the first thing I noticed was how nice, warm, and smooth the tiles were.  I wouldn't be surprised if they had radiant heat.  I quickly crossed empty store to the coolers and found some chocolate milk.  There was no one else in line and the cashier was busy so probably didn't even notice my bare feet as I approved her station.  I purchased my milk and walked back with no issues.

Once back inside the building during a break I sat with some of the leaders of the group and they were talking about different customs they have and how it bothers other portions of their family.  (I joined them barefoot without any comment, but I wonder if my feet lead to any part of the conversation.)  One parent said they have no problem letting their child wear pajamas all day when they have no place to go.  But if a certain relative is going to be seen, the child will change out of the pajamas.  Another adult mentioned she use to enjoy going barefoot when she was a kid.  It sounded like she still enjoys being barefoot, but just doesn't practice being barefoot outside of the home.  But the topic was brought up because their relatives feel that slippers are needed to protect you from catching a cold, even in the warmth of your own home. So no bare feet when those relatives are around.

Overall I am starting to feel very liberated and excited.  I could never have imagined being able to do so much barefooted just a short time ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment